Isn’t our human skin just fascinating? Our largest organ, it has the power to soak 60% of what is applied to it into your blood & internal organs. What if we FED our bodies with nutrients rather than pasted our skin with toxins? Let’s be a generation that nurtures ourselves (and our little ones) with […]
We believe that health is our most valuable human asset.
As a brand and a circle of women we are looking to be a voice that stands for the health of our future.
The most recent report from the World Health Organisation (2102) states that;
Semen quality has dropped by 40%
Genital malformation in baby boys has increased by 400%.
Miscarriages / Pre-term pregnancy – at an all time high
It’s time to look clearly at the causes of these health challenges and seek new choices for our selves.
FACT ; Chemicals are being used in cosmetics/personal care products in Australia. The majority are released onto the market on the basis that they are safe until proven unsafe.
With 60% of these chemicals soaking directly into our bloodstream (& more so, if they are applied under your tongue, under arms or genitalia) …
Certified Organic is simply our best choice for us & our children if we are seeking to avoid synthetic chemicals in our lifestyle choices.
Will you help us to share this message?
SHOP CERTIFIED ORGANIC
This week we’re connecting with the very lovely Nat & Anna of Real Food Revival. Based in the beautiful Margaret River in Western Australia they’ve just recently hosted a Educated, Empowered & Chemical Free event with us. We adore their wellness passion, philosophies & product edit … if you’re travelling in the area, a visit to their co-op is a MUST!
In line with our connection we’re giving 2 gift packs of our newly released Certified Organic Blissful Baby collection & a copy of Nat’s book, My Dinner Plate is a jungle. To WIN head on over to @thedivinecompany instagram & share with us a picture of you & your family ~ be sure to hashtag #mybabyisdivine ~ our winners will be drawn this coming Sunday!
Nat, Anna … when did you first connect with The Divine Company?
We first met Therese in Sydney at the Mindd Foundation Conference. It really was a life changing experience and Therese’s presentation really opened our eyes to the next part of our journey. Her presentation was absolutely compelling. Therese’s passion for health and own life experience shines through her. She is an extremely generous person in sharing her knowledge and is very down to earth and approachable. Her inner beauty is her most obvious quality, you feel it the second you meet her. She also has a great sense of humour, there’s a cheeky little twinkle in her eye and we love that.
Tell us about what you’re up to with Real Food Revival & your new book …
Nat; I am a Mum of three and one half of the Real Food Revival.
I became hugely passionate about nutrition after exploring ways to help my eldest son, now 13, who was diagnosed with Autism at age 3. Through nutrition we have been able to soothe many of his characteristics of Autism, and even reverse some.
Anna; The other half of Real Food Revival, has been on her health journey for some time. We spur each other on with our passion for all things health ~ it’s more than just food right!?
We live to offer people knowledge that empowers them in their own homes to create healthy lives for their families.
“My Dinner Plate’s A Jungle” was inspired by a love of nutrition. It was literally a dream that would not leave Nat alone! I knew so many people dealing with picky eaters and I felt this story would help. It’s a really positive, fun, imaginative story. It’s not preachy and parents and kids will love it.
We are currently writing another book, ‘A Real Food Lunch Box’. This is a much different process and more involved but it’s equally rewarding. We hope to have this book out by the end of August this year.
Your thoughts on all things Certified Organic … why is it important to you?
We used to think “if it’s on the shelves it can’t be that bad”. Now we understand how poor the regulatory structure is and how the majority of chemicals go into our products aren’t even tested for safety! It is very scary stuff. I don’t want to compromise my families health in any way, my kids are the world to me. So many products are “greenwashed” and labeling can be so deceptive. So many products claim to be “natural” and “organic” yet they contain many broadly toxic ingredients. Even plant based, herbal, botanical products can still contain chemicals and pesticides. I only trust certified organic because it safe. It’s beautiful and nourishing to use and it supports my families health.
How are you growing your Certified Organic lifestyle at the moment? What are you learning about and implementing?
There are many areas we have been growing and improving in our organic lifestyle. I get fresh organic produce at a very reasonable price from a farm not too far away. It’s pre-order and comes in box so its very convenient too!
We have replaced all of our families body and skin care products with safe, certified organic ones and they have all been such a treat to use, the kids have loved them. We have also replaced our cleaning products with a very simple regime – all fragrance free and safe products. The house is a calm and gentle place to be.
Plastics are next and we have made the switch to glass. It has been a process and its something we keep building on, we lay one foundation and then take the next step. It’s a nurturing, sustainable way to live and I am proud to pass this information on to my children, so they can pass on to theirs. I think the future is a bright one.
We have also started a local co-op in our town, Margaret River Whole Foods that provides ONLY safe and certified organic products. We want this lifestyle to be accessible to absolutely everyone so offer very inexpensive products that ALL families can afford. We spend a lot of time researching our products so people know when they shop with us that can trust completely that what they are buying will be what it says it is – certified organic and 100% safe. We would encourage everyone to consider starting a co-op in their towns and creating an organic lifestyle movement!
Have you experienced any challenges in growing your Certified Organic lifestyle?
Yes definitely! So many times I have bought a product thinking I was choosing a healthy choice only to find I had been tricked by labeling. The app Chemical Maze has been a blessing since and I would encourage everyone to get it! That’s also why I love Divine by Therese Kerr, because I can trust I am getting a beautiful product that is what it says it is ~ no tricks or small print, just certified organic and safe. She’s done all the hard work for me!
It is absolutely Divine! I can see how much research and love has gone into developing this stunning range. I think a new life to the world is such a blessing and you want to use nothing but the best for our special little ones. You can use these products safe in the knowledge that they aren’t damaging like so many of the regular brands that are promoted for our babies. It is such a special time in a familie’s life and using these gentle and nourishing products can be such a wonderful part of that bond between parent and child. My favourite is the Mummys Tummy & Body Oil – it is so luxurious and smells incredible.
Nat & Anna’s DIVINE 5 in ‘HOW to grow your Certified Organic lifestyle’ …
- Get the facts. See Therese speak if you can, I couldn’t recommend it more highly! Definitely get the app Chemical Maze and educate yourself on just WHY certified organic is so important.
- Connect with like~minded people and ask questions, there is a wealth of knowledge in these communities and by sharing we all benefit and grow. I really love the way this lifestyle brings people together, it’s a really generous community, we all have the same goal of health for our families.
- Join a local co-operative, shop local or get to the farmers markets. Ask questions from the people selling food. It doesn’t have to be expensive, time consuming or hard, you very quickly get in the swing of where to source your food from and it just becomes part of your lifestyle. The food tastes better, is fresher and is better for you.
- Replace your personal care and home products for certified organic and safe. They are a treat to use and you will have a happier home for it.
- Replace your plastics for glass. It keeps things fresher and is nicer to use, and you are exposed to none of the plastic nasties.
How can we help you grow your work in the world …Where can people connect?
We live in such a fantastic age of connection and want to make our knowledge accessible to everyone in the world. We have a website with fantastic recipes and a store – www.realfoodrevival.com.au We also LOVE hearing from real foodies on our facebook page Real Food Revival Facebook we have a great community and really get a kick out of hearing peoples own health journeys, and seeing what they get up to in the kitchen. We post a lot of info and recipes on there and it’s a really interactive page.
We are also on Instagram @realfoodrevival and love connecting on the hashtags #realfoodrevival & #kidsinthekitchen
Did you know that the average baby in 2015 is being born with more than 200+ chemicals in their little bodies?
Detoxing is a great choice for Mum ~ preconception, pregnancy or early motherhood ~ & is a great way to help baby have a clean start at life.
Here’s 5 easy ideas …
* More water, less caffeine. Keeping hydrated with a good water source helps those toxins to flush out as they should.
* Walks in nature. Gentle exercise is so beneficial to your body. Even more so when you’re outside breathing fresh air, enjoying sunshine & observing nature.
* Eat clean. Whenever possible cook fresh with a Certified Organic food source.
* Harness the power of nature in your home. Choose non toxic cleaning choices.
* Make the swap to Certified Organic personal care. 60% of what you apply soaks directly in to your blood system. We recommend our range of course! SHOP DIVINE here …
We’d love to hear your detox stories or ideas. Join the conversation on The Divine Company Facebook.
When you are pregnant (or have just had a baby) any little luxury to help you feel beautiful is incredibly well received … Do you agree!?
Our Mum’s Tummy & Body oil is so special. Certified Organic & filled with premium nourishing & essential oils, it makes a beautiful choice to massage on to any growing belly or milk filled breasts.
And remember … any Certified Organic choice you make pre~pregnancy, pregnancy or breast feeding will reduce toxic chemicals that baby is exposed too. Lovely.
PS ~ Our brand new Certified Organic baby collection is ready to go into the world …
We’d love to know your thoughts on which beautiful retail spaces we should place it!
What are your favourite baby boutiques?
“AN UTTERLY EXQUISITE RANGE OF CERTIFIED ORGANIC PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS FOR MUM AND BUB” …
Such kind words from lovely Ally McManus at limewithroses.com
We’re so very proud of our brand new Certified Organic baby line. Connect with it on our website …
What if you had access to the leading health & wellness experts in our country?
Our commitment at Divine is to increase the health of families in one generation.
We’d so love you to hear from the world’s leading naturopaths, physicians, dentists and chiropractors on all things health and wellness …
JOIN US for our upcoming Mum’s & Babies Health Summit!
From the comfort of your own home, watch highly educated and skilled experts share their knowledge and latest research findings so you can become educated and empowered to make healthier choices.
This FREE 3 day event will be televised via the internet – date to be confirmed.
Do you know anyone who is pregnant or has a young family?
We’d so love you to share this link with your family and friends … so that they too can become aware of things every parent must know about safer alternatives to raise happy, healthy, well adjusted children.
Register now via our events page!
And if you haven’t already …
You may like to have a peep at our brand new Certified Organic baby range.
It’s Divine of course.
Lot’s of love xx
Yep it’s true a mother’s milk will pass all consumed substances through to her child. Obviously this can be either advantageous or detrimental depending upon the mother’s awareness and her lifestyle habits.
DETRIMENTAL SUBSTANCES INCLUDE:
Alcohol, caffeine, recreational drugs and prescription and over-the-counter medications all pass through breast milk through to our baby’s. These substances are mildly filtered by the mother’s metabolism but their harmful effects will still impact our child due to their small body-weight ratio. So it’s incredibly important that we are mindful of all things we consume.
There are specific foods which are known to contribute to irritability and colic in newborn babies (see Items to Avoid When Breastfeeding). Alchol obviously impacts our baby’s growing brain but it also creates digestive upset so it’s important to consider if those post birth bubles some hospitals offer and friends offer when we arrive home are really worth it if it means our baby will have a tummy ache for the next 24 hours.
The foods outlined that are known to cause colicky symptoms can slowly be introduced after the baby’s first six months but parents should carefully monitor the baby’s physical and behavioural responses. Irritating food items include wine, champagne and caffeine, which is found in tea, coffee and Coca-Cola. Unfortunately, chocolate also ranks highly on the Items to Avoid list due to the effects of both caffeine and theobromine, another stimulant.
Others items include artificial sweeteners, soft-drinks and carbonated beverages, fatty foods, lentils, beans and split peas. Acidic fruits such as oranges and berries may also be irritating for newborns. Cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, cauli- flower, broccoli and turnip may exacerbate colic. Onions and garlic may be problematic, as can heavily spiced foods.
We all know breast feeding is time consuming but it’s vitally important that a mothers diet doesn’t rely on quick snack foods or refined carbohydrates. Planning ahead is the key. We need a diet high in good fats (for example nuts, avocado, butter, coconut oil) clean proteins and lots of vegetables and fruits. Ideally all organic. These foods provide nutrients for our baby’s growing brain and help build their digestive strength.
Unfortunately a nursing mother’s diet that rely’s heavily on convenience, wheat-based foods can also contribute towards a colicky baby partly because of preservative 282 (calcium propionate), found in most breads, frequently affects breastfed babies, presenting symptoms such as screaming and chronic diarrhoea. Additionally hidden additives and other preservatives found in refined foods irritate our newborns sensitive nervous system and their digestion. Mothers are often unaware of these detrimental side-effects.
ITEMS TO AVOID WHEN BREASTFEEDING:
The foods listed below are known irritants for babies. Once your baby has reached six months, you may choose to slowly re-introduce some of these foods into your diet. It’s best to re-introduce them in minimal doses so as to avoid restlessness and stomach upsets for your baby.
1. Drugs—over-the-counter, prescription and social drugs will all adversely affect your baby. Valium and phenobarbitone can cause sedation.
2. Nicotine—affects your baby’s lungs, heart rate and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea (please see Chapter 6 of Well Adjusted Babies for further information). Smoking may also reduce breast milk.
3. Alcohol—affects your baby’s brain (please see Chapter 4) and causes sedation. Red wine and champagne in particular will cause irritability.
4. Caffeine—found in tea, coffee, chocolate, coca-cola and many other fizzy drinks is an addictive stimulant which causes sleeplessness and irritability.
5. Chocolate—theobromine is a stimulant.
6. Artificial sweeteners found in assorted confectionery may also cause hyperactivity.
7. Soft-drinks and carbonated beverages.
8. Fatty foods.
9. Lentils and most secondary proteins such as beans. Split peas (beware of your mothers ‘pea and ham’ soup!).
10. Cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and turnip, and onions and garlic, may be problematic.
11. Heavily spiced foods.
12. Acidic fruits (too many oranges and berries, etc).
13. Dairy products—cow’s milk is the first allergen to which infants commonly react. Please see Chapters 5, 22 and 23 of Well Adjusted Babies for further information. If you are sensitive to these products, remember that you and your baby will be better off without them. Constant consumption of dairy may lead to nutritional deficits and compromised immune systems for you both.
14. Refined or simple carbohydrates often contain dairy products and preservative.
15. Rhubarb or laxatives such as senna, aloe or cascara—can also increase an infant’s bowel activity.
16. Sports Protein bars and shakes—these may actually decrease your milk supply! There is an array of artificial chemicals in some of these products, which may cause a decline in breast milk. (I inadvertently stumbled across this realisation when I ate one of my husband’s protein bars whilst driving his car one day. I was starving hungry and someone had given him some protein bar samples, without looking at the ingredients I inhaled the bar and then was completely shocked by the outcome. My breast milk dried up for two days, and I could not attribute this to any other food item which may have caused this same reaction). Note: I am referring to highly concentrated, artificially fortified sources of protein combined with an array of chemically-derived ingredients that probably impacted my supply of breast milk. I am not referring to protein in its natural, God-intended form. By no means should mothers avoid high quality, natural sources of protein.
In the “Post Birth” Chapter of Well Adjusted Babies we discuss specific dietary items that are beneficial for you and your baby. These items include goods fats such as omega-3 polyunsaturated fats DHA and EPA for your baby’s developing brain, and probiotics which help to establish good bacteria within your baby’s digestive system. Please refer to the Post Birth Chapter for further explanation.
Dr. Jennifer Barham-Floreani – Chiropractor, Family Health Expert and Author.